WHAT IS CORROSION
Corrosion is a natural process, which converts a refined metal to a more stable form, such as its oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide. It is the gradual destruction of materials (usually metals) by chemical and/or electrochemical reaction with their environment.
Rust is the reddish- or yellowish-brown flaking coating of iron oxide that is formed on iron or steel through oxidation. This is the corrosion most people readily identify with.
Corrosion leads to:
- Reduction of metal thickness resulting in loss of mechanical strength, structural failure or breakdown.
- Hazards or injuries to people as a result of structural breakdown.
- Loss of time; critical components cannot be relied on to be fit for purpose when corroded.
- Reduced value of goods due to deterioration of appearance.
- Contamination of fluids in vessels and pipes.
- Perforation of vessels and pipes, walls and skins allowing escape of their contents and possible harm to the surroundings.
- Loss of technically important surface properties of a metallic component.
- Mechanical damage to valves, pumps, or blockage of pipes by solid corrosion products.
For all these reasons corrosion is best avoided. Australian Inhibitor leads the way in corrosion prevention through our extensive use of specialised inhibitors. These specialised and tailored additives become an integral part of the final product Australian Inhibitor offers our clients. Products which are proven to prevent corrosion.
HOW DOES CORROSION HAPPEN?
Corrosion happens as refined metals attempt to revert to their more stable raw or ore form.
The catalyst for corrosion are time, temperature and humidity. In many cases these factors are unavoidable. Your products may need to be decommissioned, stored, laid-up or stockpiled for a period of time. Through this period your product will most likely be stored in a typical warehousing environment where it will be subjected to natural variation in temperature and humidity.
It is the constant changes in both temperature and humidity (moisture in the air) that have a dramatic effect on the severity of corrosion. Australian Inhibitor have invested time and knowledge into producing a range of products with exemplary barrier properties at both a physical and molecular level.
Australian Inhibitor products combined with our range of desiccants control the ambient conditions.
The VCI’s that form an integral part of our products, neutralise the potential for corrosion, replenish if disturbed and continue to prevent oxidisation over time. Australian Inhibitor products can help you stand the test of time, beat the elements and prevent corrosion. Trusted by heavy industry, Automotive, Military and those in between. Australian Inhibitor understand Corrosion and most importantly they know how to prevent it.