WHAT IS VCI?
It is a type of packaging that is generally paper or plastic, but has anti-corrosive properties.
HOW DOES IT WORK
AUSTRALIAN INHIBITOR MAKES EXTENSIVE USE OF SPECIALISED INHIBITORS.
These Inhibitors take the form of both Vapour Corrosion Inhibitors Vapour Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) and Contact Corrosion Inhibitors (CCI). These specialised and tailored additives become an integral part of the final products Australian Inhibitors offers our clients.
Australian Inhibitors selection of papers, films, foils and liquids offer excellent physical protection from water and moisture. Each material is tailored for a specific application and also includes food grade VCI for a range of food items. Effective and safe for use for different applications, we have some of the best inhibitors to prevent and protect products during storage and in transit.
Our VCI’s provide long term protection from corrosion through direct contact and also via a corrosion preventing vapour (VCI) released directly from our product. At a molecular level our VCI inhibitors suppress corrosion in three ways;
- The VCI passivate the electron flow between anode & cathode areas on the metal surface.
- The VCI forms a physical hydrophobic layer that prevents water & moisture directly contacting the metal & acting as an electrolyte.
- VCI regulates the PH value of the electrolyte.
Put very simply the corrosion inhibitors in Australian Inhibitors product range are drawn to metal surfaces, the attraction is so strong that a vapour of inhibitors will build a VCI skin over your product. This 3-5 micron thick barrier prevents oxidisation – stopping corrosion. Remove the packaging containing VCI’s and this barrier will begin to dissipate – leaving your componentry corrosion free and ready to use. You can give us a call on +61 3 9768 2322 or email us at email@example.com
The most notable feature of the Australian Inhibitor range is their volatility. The Vapour Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) inhibitors do not need to touch your componentry to do their job. Australian Inhibitors corrosion preventative additive migrate to where they are needed. This allows the hidden recesses and most complex of shapes to benefit from a continuous, unbroken molecular barrier.
- Are attracted to the metal surface.
- Passivate the metal surface.
- Create a barrier.
- Prevent oxidation.
- Keeps working.
HOW DO I DO IT?
Australian Inhibitor offers a large range of VCI packaging materials each tailored to meet the different demands for protection from corrosion. The expert team at Australian Inhibitor will help you determine the best combination of materials and packaging Designs to meets your specific requirements.
The following guidelines are recommended:
- Ensure the parts to be stored are clean & dryAll parts to be packed must be clean & dry. Gloves must be worn when handling parts to avoid leaving acidic, corrosion causing finger prints.
DO NOT pack hot parts. Where possible, the ambient temperature & the temperature of the part should be the same to prevent condensation from forming inside the pack.
- Apply Australian Inhibitor Liquids too hard to reach or internal componentsDepending on the nature of your componentry it may be recommended that internal workings, sumps, pipes, boilers, turbines and tanks are coated in one of the Australian Inhibitors specialised VCI liquids or powders. In most cases Australian Inhibitors range of VCI liquids or powders can be used without any special surface preparation’s prior to equipment shut down & in most cases will not need to be removed prior to start up. The Vapour Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) actives are attracted to metal surfaces even if they are above the liquid line ensuring even the most difficult to reach surfaces are protected.
- Apply a barrier An often overlooked key to preventing corrosion is to control the environment in which your product will be stored. Australian Inhibitor has developed a range of high barrier property films and foils that will provide a controlled environment. The team at Australian Inhibitor can produce custom sized bags, envelopes and sleeves in small to large volumes. We can provide solutions that meet the same exacting specification and standards required by the defence or fine art sectors. Australian Inhibitors films and foils are impregnated with VCI technologies ensuring the corrosion prevention we are known for is an integral part of our barrier materials.
- Humidity controlThe length of your storage period and the environmental conditions during the storage period will determine the desiccants solution that is offered. Desiccants reduce humidity to below critical levels and work to maintain this level. Controlling ambient conditions in this manner prolongs the storage life of your componentry.
- Vacuum or heat shrinkVacuuming the air from around your componentry reduces the oxygen and moisture suspended around your componentry ultimately helping to further stabilise the environment to keep your parts safe.
In the most critical of circumstances, the team at Australian Inhibitor are trusted to fit specialised valves to our barrier materials allowing for nitrogen flushing – a process required by the arts and museum sector ensuring the longevity of often priceless exhibits.
- CasePossibly the most important barrier between your product and the outside world is the case it will be shipped or stored in. A well-designed shipping case is the key to safe transportation. The team at Australian Inhibitor understand this and have the capability to develop & provide the ideal solution. Our longstanding relationship with the leading experts in Industrial Packaging ensures the finest details are not overlooked.